Sunday, March 6, 2011

doubt/faith


Those who believe they believe in God but without passion in the heart, without anguish of mind, without uncertainty, without doubt, and even at times without despair, believe only in the idea of God, and not in God himself.
-Madeleine L'Engle



This was part of the message today, discussing whether or not it's ok to doubt Christ's presence in our lives… His purpose for us… promise to us… His power. Believing in the person of Christ and his role in our lives. Not just the idea of Him.

It was just the reminder I needed. Lent is a good time for self-reflection and growth. I need that in a few areas of my life right now. I need to be reminded that I do not have control over many aspects of my life (especially when it comes to being in relationship with other people & also regarding the safety of my babies). This has been weighing heavily on my mind & heart lately, & in church today, I was reminded that it's ok to have questions & to even doubt God sometimes. It's ok to ask those questions, because in the asking, we can find a peace to replace the doubt. We won't find all the answers. He knows. And that's enough. There will be things we don't understand this side of heaven. But that's part of faith. Understanding that our little minds can't wrap around everything we face in this life. And yet trusting that even in our times of disbelief and uncertainty, He is pursuing us. He is holding us up. HE is believing in US.


photo via

1 comment:

The Dercks said...

What a great post, Lisa! I took so much home from Blake's message yesterday as well...don't think I could've written it up like you, though. :)