Monday, October 25, 2010

Good Read

Well, I'm not even 1/3 of the way through yet, but I'm recommending this book to any of my new mommy friends. And actually, to any mommy friends because the series goes from birth through the teen years.

My good friend, Toni, recommended a few books to me after I asked her for some suggestions regarding behavior strategies/disciplining a toddler. I've noticed Levi testing his boundaries lately & while I knew this was perfectly normal, I didn't know the best way to deal with it.



This was one of the books she recommended & I've already learned so much. The most important: "Positive discipline has nothing to do with punishment. Discipline with very young children is mostly about deciding what YOU will do than with what you expect your CHILD to do."

Punishment may seem to 'work' in the short term. But over time, we know that it creates rebellion, resistance, and children who just don't believe in their own worth.


Power struggles are often just that - because parents take power away from children instead of guiding them to develop their power in useful ways.

Part of your job as a parent will be to help your toddler learn to channel his power in positive directions - kind and firm distraction and redirection until he is old enough to help solve problems, to learn life skills, and to respect and cooperate with others. Punishment will not teach these vital lessons: effective and loving discipline will.


TEACH RESPECT BY BEING RESPECTFUL.

{And if you ever find yourself in need of family therapy, couples therapy, adult counseling, or parenting classes, I hope you'll contact Toni. I would trust her with my family.}

No comments: